Raw Chocolate Goji & Almond Bark
A healthy and romantic Valentine’s day dessert
If the way to the heart is through the stomach, then this delicious raw chocolate bark is the perfect way to spoil your loved ones (and yourself). Not a whizz in the kitchen? That’s ok! This recipe is fool proof and besides tasting delicious it’s also full of goodness. This nourishing dessert is filled with the following nutrient-rich ingredients:
Cacao is the star of the show and has many health promoting properties, which come from the plant polyphenols. Cacao is a natural source of antioxidants and magnesium. It is traditionally used as an aphrodisiac and mood enhancer. Be sure to opt for a raw cacao over a ‘cocoa’ option, which is often highly refined and can contain added sugar and additives.
Add the colour of love and romance to your dessert with the red goji berry. Goji’s have a tart/ sweet flavour and are considered to be a powerful antioxidant that protects the body from free radical damage. They are also a great source of Vitamin C, a nutrient that helps promote healthy skin and supports the immune system.
Almonds are a nutrient dense superfood commonly thought of as an aphrodisiac. High in important nutrients and trace minerals essentials for reproductive health such as zinc, selenium and essential fatty acids, almonds are a fantastic addition to any healthy dessert.
Raw goji and almond bark recipe
- ½ cup organic coconut oil
- ½ cup organic cacao powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup/ honey/ rice malt syrup
- a pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- ¼ cup goji berries
- ½ cup almonds roughly chopped
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- 1 table spoon of almond butter (optional)
- Line a flat tray or pan with baking paper (choose one that will fit in the freezer).
- In a medium pot, melt the coconut oil on a low heat.
- Whisk in the cacao powder, sweetener of choice and almond butter (if using) until combined well.
- Pour the chocolate mixture onto the baking paper.
- Sprinkle on the goji berries, almonds and coconut flakes evenly.
- Top with a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Set aside in the freezer for 20 minutes, or until set.
- Once set, crack the bark into small pieces and serve with fresh berries.
- Store the cracked chocolate bark in the freezer until you are ready to serve.
- Enjoy this delicious treat.
Note: Feel free to alternate with your favourite toppings or ingredients that you have at home. Other yummy toppings include: cacao nibs, cinnamon, dried mango, fresh raspberries, ginger and rice puffs. (Photo Credit : http://nyoutritious.com)
For more delicious recipes or nutritional and dietary advice book an appointment by calling Elevate today on (02) 9252 2225.