Healthy Gingerbread Cookies
Give the dessert table a healthy twist this festive season with these melt in your mouth gingerbread cookies. This recipe created by our Naturopath Amanda Harasym makes the perfect batch of guilt-free cookies to enjoy with family and friends. They contain the perfect amount of spice, flavour and sweetness and are guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser!
Meet ginger, the star ingredient.
Ginger is a very therapeutic spice. It’s benefits include:
- Ginger promotes anti-blood clotting properties, offering protection against stroke and other cardiovascular conditions.
- Ginger is a natural anti-nausea remedy; it also helps to relax the stomach lining and help move food through your digestive system, helping those who suffer from constipation.
- Ginger helps to promote digestion and metabolism of food.
- Ayurvedic medicine believes ginger helps to break down the accumulation of toxins in organs and cleanses the lymphatic system, which is a vital part of our immune system.
- Ginger possess anti-bacterial properties.
- Ginger contains gingerol, a strong anti-inflammatory compound.
- Ginger may help to reduce muscle pain and soreness.
- Ginger helps to regulate blood sugar levels.
Christmas recipe – hazelnut gingerbread cookies
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 + ¼ ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted); option to use coconut oil or ghee
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir thoroughly to ensure ingredients are well combined.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to allow coconut flour to absorb the liquid.
- Use a spoon or cookie scoop to make 1 tablespoon balls and place approximately 2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, and allow to cool on sheet before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
For more festive recipes head to our blog. We hope you have a happy and healthy festive season!