Guilt-free (and gluten-free) Australia Day Lamington Recipe
Celebrate Australia Day with this delicious recipe. Created by our naturopath Amanda Harasym, these lamington’s are an absolute crowd pleaser!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (and 1 tbsp to grease the pan)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- ¼ cacao powder
- 250 grams gluten-free icing sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180C. Coat a 16 cm x 26 cm cake tin with a light coating of coconut oil, then line with baking paper.
- Place eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl; beat with a handheld electric mixer until thick and creamy. Gradually add coconut sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and doubles in volume. Sift flour with baking powder; gently fold into the mixture with a large metal spoon until combined-don’t overmix!
- Pour mixture into the tin. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cake is golden and a skewer or toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove tin from the oven; set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a wire rack to cool completely. Remove baking paper and discard. Use a serrated knife to cut the cake into 20 even squares.
- Place cacao powder in a large bowl, add 100 ml boiling water and stir until smooth. Add gluten-free icing sugar; stir until sugar dissolves and icing is completely smooth. Set icing aside to cool.
- Use a fork to hold 1 piece of cake over the icing bowl. Spoon icing on the cake to cover, letting any excess drip off, then sprinkle lightly with coconut. Place cake on a wire rack set over a baking tray. Repeat with remaining cake pieces to make 20 lamingtons, then leave to rest for 2 hours, or until icing sets properly.
Benefits of ingredients
- Coconut is a rich source of fibre.
- Cacao powder contains magnesium, great for nervous system support and muscular relaxation.
- Coconut oil is a natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal oil, that also works well as a topical moisturizer on the skin.
*Photo credit: Eat, Drink, Paleo