City2Surf: 5 essential race day recovery tips
The City2Surf is almost here. This Sunday, Sydney CBD will be filled with over 80,000 people preparing to run or walk through the streets all the way to Bondi Beach in the world’s largest fun run.
If you are taking part in the City2Surf (or any other fun run), don’t forget these essential race day recovery tips so the body bounces back ready for your next fitness challenge.
- Take on water and sports gels during the event to avoid excessive depletion towards the end.
- Drink and eat to replenish depleated fuel stores post-race, especially if you had none during the event.
- Stretch tight hip flexors, calves, hamstrings, groin and back. This will aid recovery but can also expose tight areas you may not have been aware of.
- Avoid/limit alcohol after the event. Alcohol dehydrates you further and is a pro-inflammatory agent which makes sore muscles and joints even sorer.
- Immerse yourself in an ice bath (at home) or cold water (Bondi Beach is right there!) which will stop capillary ooze, one of the reasons you get muscle soreness post exercise. Getting into the water feels great and reduces how sore you become.
If you need a last minute tune up this week we have chiropractors, physiotherapists, osteopaths and massage therapists all available for appointments from 7am to 7pm until Friday. We also have a special offer for your post-race recovery…
Book into one of our massage therapists next week and get 20% off your post-race recovery massage. Call us on 02-9252 2225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org