Mother’s Day Recipe: Paleo Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
It’s time to spoil mum! Breakfast in bed is the perfect way to start mum’s day. Mum deserves a little extra shut eye and will appreciate the pampering. Here’s a mouth-watering, healthy recipe that is sure to enlighten the taste buds and set a happy tone for the day!
It’s important to eat breakfast, and here are a few reasons why:
- Helps to give you energy for the rest of your day;
- improves memory, concentration and helps to stabilise mood;
- kick starts the body’s metabolism; and
- reduces your chances of consuming high calorie foods end of the day.
Paleo Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread (adapted from bakerita.com)
- 4 mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup nut or seed butter (e.g. almond, peanut, pumpkin, walnut, pecan)
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 7 ounces carob nibs or cacao nibs
- Grease a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan with coconut oil or grass-fed butter and preheat oven to 350F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the bananas, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract and the nut or seed butter.
- Add in the dry ingredients (coconut flour, spices, baking soda, and salt) and mix well.
- Gently fold in the carob or cacao nibs.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for half hour before serving.
- Option to top with coconut yogurt or serve with chopped fresh fruit (e.g. berries, papaya, pineapple, plums).
** Picture sourced from www.bakerita.com
For more delicious and healthy recipes and nutrition tips, click here!